Wednesday 28 May 2014

Book Reviews

Its been a busy week….Kids are off on half term so things are pretty hectic round here. I did however, join Netgalley this week and they've sent me a bunch of books to review which is v exciting! I rely on Goodreads and Amazon reviews heavily, along with reviews from my Facebook book clubs, so I figured it was time to start reviewing stuff I've read, so I can pass on my recommendations. I've had a few Netgallery requests declined so I figure the sooner I get cracking on my reading/reviewing the better! This week I've read two great books -

Cry Baby - David Jackson

I loved this - I love a good thriller, even so more when there's a cracking twist at the end. A woman wakes, alone, disorientated and realises her baby is missing. She hears a voice through an earpiece in her ear and what follows is a cracking roller coaster of a read in which Erin does everything the disembodied voice in her ear tells her to, in order to save her baby. I'm not going to give away the twist, as that was what turned a good read, into a bloody cracking read. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more David Jackson.

We were Liars - E Lockhart

I only picked this book up as the publishers had shrouded it in secrecy - "Don't tell the ending! It's a secret!". I went into this book blind, as the publishers wanted you to and because I love a secret 'cos I'm dead nosey. It was a good story - I didn't see the twist coming (although many other reviewers on Goodreads etc said they did), but I didn't like ANY of the characters. I think maybe Lockhart had that in mind, that readers would perhaps not like her characters, but despite that it was still a good read. Read it if you love a secret, and if you think that perhaps your family isn't all that. Trust me, they could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment