Thursday 16 October 2014

11+ Trauma

So, here in the Kent countryside it seems we are one of the last counties to put our primary school kids through the trauma that is the 11+ exam. Izzy got her results yesterday and she didn't pass - this is despite being top of her class, going above and beyond the 'expected' targets she should be hitting at school and having a reading age of 13.5 years (she's 10). Needless to say she was gutted, but now this morning her Head Teacher has informed me she wants to appeal the decision. Arrrggghhhhh! TOO. MUCH. STRESS. It doesn't matter to me whether she goes to a grammar school or not, I know wherever she goes she will fly high, but COME ON KCC! To have my daughter tell me she doesn't know why I'm proud of her because she failed is not on. Time to abolish the 11+, and let kids find their own path without being made to feel inadequate.


She's my beautiful, talented, kind, crazy, intelligent, big-hearted baby and no exams or grammar school is ever going to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment